#26: Conscious Luck and Upper Limit Problems with Gay Hendricks
Music by: SAICS | Music produced by: Keith Milutinovic
Gay Hendricks has been a leader in the fields of relationship and body-mind transformation for more than 45 years and has written more than 40 books, including bestsellers such as Five Wishes, The Big Leap. He joins us on this week's show to give exclusive insights on his brand new book, Conscious Luck, to share secrets to creating your own luck, and to expand on his Zone of Genius research by introducing a whole new layer to his groundbreaking discovery, the Genius Spiral.
Openness to Discovery Scale [Free Download]: Are you willing to shift from focusing on "what's wrong?" and using your interactions to continue to improve yourself? This handout is designed to accompany you on the journey to connecting deeply with yourself and focusing on discovery so that you can continue to expand into deep presence, expanded connection with the world and more genuine play.
Genius Spiral [Free Download]: This new layer to the Zone of Genius provides an even more powerful guide to your transformation and living primarily in your genius.
Order Gay's new book, 'Conscious Luck', right now!
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS EPISODE
- 4:54 - Welcome Gay Hendricks to the Allowed Podcast.
- 5:14 - Gay discusses his bestselling book The Big Leap and upper limit problems and how he came up with the concept.
- 9:18 - Gay explains what the ULP or Upper Limit Problem is.
- 11:29 - How fear plays into the upper limit problem process within all of us.
- 16:10 - Gay explains you have two ways of looking at human beings. We are human animals rather than failed angels.
- 19:44 - We have these two cosmic pulls in us. One is to expand and one is to contract. Once we get into harmony with that, things can move very well but if we are resisting every move of that process our whole systems are working against each other.
- 22:59 - In Gay's seminars for business leaders, he teaches openness to learning. He spent many consulting days with Michael Dell. At the very top of companies, you see people who are so open to learning that they walk down the halls and soak up learning. Gay has never seen a person digest change as quickly.
- 25:02 - Gay speaks about the importance of the 10-second sweaty conversation. The value is in the healing that comes from them. These can actually be 10-second miracle conversations because of the relief and healing that comes from letting go of the drama and avoidance.
- 26:03 - Gay talks about where in the body certain emotions are held and how they are released from bottom to top.
- 30:18 - We are a parfait of feeling. Anger on top. Sadness in the middle. And fear at the bottom of everything. Gay speaks about how shame is a mixture of fear, sadness, and anger but it shows up lower in the body which he addresses in his new book Conscious Luck.
- 32:16 - The big finding exposed in Gay’s new book Conscious Luck is you can consciously change your luck.
- 34:59 - Gay shares an exclusive story about Gay and his own experience with creating luck in a conscious way. It is about making a decision to be lucky and how that changed his life.
- 38:48 - All conscious change begins with a new conscious commitment. There are 8 different tools you can use to make yourself luckier. One is to create luck-worthy goals.
- 41:46 - Gay talks about how it is important to take a moment and love that part of you that doesn’t feel like you deserve it. Love the part of you that doesn’t feel worthy. The feeling of unworthiness is the number one fear we have to get out of ourselves.
- 43:28 - Gay explains the Genius Spiral and how the Zone of Genius is actually an ongoing and growing spiral.
More About Gay Hendricks:
Gay Hendricks Biography Gay Hendricks has been a leader in the fields of relationship transformation and body-mind transformation for more than 45 years. After earning his Ph.D. from Stanford in 1974, Gay served as Professor of Counseling Psychology at the University of Colorado for 21 years. He has written more than 40 books, including bestsellers such as Five Wishes, The Big Leap, Conscious Loving and Conscious Loving Ever After, (the last two co-authored with his co-author and mate for more than 35 years, Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks).
He is also a mystery novelist, with a series of five books featuring the Tibetan-Buddhist private detective, Tenzing Norbu, as well as a new mystery series featuring a Victorian-era London detective, Sir Errol Hyde.
His last book, The Joy of Genius, shows how to eliminate negative thinking and bring forth true creativity.
Gay has appeared on more than 500 radio and television shows, including Oprah, CNN, CNBC, 48 HOURS and others.
Subscribe & Review on iTunes
Are you subscribed to the show?
If you’re not, be sure and do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode or bonus, and if you aren't subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
It would also really help me out if you would take a minute to leave a rating and review over on iTunes, so I can broaden my reach and my ability to help others. It's really easy too! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite topic we cover is, and what your favorite part of the show is. I'd love your feedback on topics you're interested in for future episodes, and love hearing your overall thoughts on the show. Thank you!
LINKS & MORE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE: