#35: How to Ask Like an Auctioneer with Dia Bondi
Are you asking for what you really want? Or are you asking for what you think you can get? Dia Bondi is a coach, catalyst, and creator of Ask Like an Auctioneer. For the last 20 years, some of the highest-profile, most extraordinary world leaders, CEOs, philanthropists, visionaries, and innovators have considered Dia their secret weapon. Over thousands of coaching sessions, she’s been in their corner, behind the curtain, helping them tap into their power and move their businesses forward. Dia is on the show today to give exclusive tips about how we can jumpstart our dreams by asking for what we actually want. Dia gives us valuable keys from her project, Ask Like An Auctioneer, aimed at helping a million women ask for more and get it using the mental model, tools, and frameworks from the world of auctioneering.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS EPISODE
Ask Like An Auctioneer is Dia Bondi's project aimed at helping a million women ask for more and get it using the mental model, tools, and frameworks from the world of auctioneering.
Dia has some special offerings for the Allowed podcast listeners:
- You can reach out to her and book the keynote or the two-hour workshop. She is also so happy to come to organizations and events to bring this kind of content to audiences as far and wide. More more info visit her website, diabondi.com.
- For listeners who are interested in using Dia’s teachings in your own lives, you can get on Dia’s mailing list by texting the word Impact to the number 66866 or just going to asklikeanauctioneer.com, or to diobandi.com, and jump on the mailing list there.
The mailing list perks:
- When Dia’s new book is released, you'll have early access to that and to everything that goes with it.
- Dia doesn’t do any one-on-one coaching around her Ask Like an Auctioneer work. However, periodically, once ver quarter she will hold 10 to 12 jumpstart sessions for people on her mailing list. These are 30-minute one-on-one sessions to jumpstart the next big ask you might have in your career, or to figure out what is an ask you're not seeing that you could make to help you reach your goals faster.
- 4:12 - Dia talks about how she noticed the problematic way women were asking for things after she began auctioneering.
- 7:02 - Dia explains what a high leverage point is and the 3 reasons why understanding these creates a big impact.
- 9:31 - Dia tells us about why she went to auctioneering school in the first place and how teaching women how to ask like an auctioneer is transforming how women are able to do business and succeed.
- 17:54 - Dia discusses how most people frame asks trying to guarantee as yes but they should be asking for the no. This leaves room for negotiating and you end up getting more than what you might have thought you could have gotten with an immediate yes ask.
- 20:01 - Dia tells us how to find the courage to go for the no by using mental models used in auctioneering.
- 24:23 - Dia gives insight on one of the tools she teaches to people in how to hone their asking skills.
- 29:40 - Dia tells a story of a big life-changing ask that she made in her life.
More About Dia Bondi:
For the last 20 years, some of the highest-profile, most extraordinary world leaders, CEOs, philanthropists, visionaries, and innovators have considered Dia Bondi their secret weapon. Over thousands of coaching sessions, she’s been in their corner, behind the curtain, helping them tap into their power and move their businesses forward.
Dia helped Rio de Janeiro secure the 2016 Summer Olympics. She’s worked with Intel, Mozilla, Unilever, Nabisco, P&G, and Progressive Insurance. She’s coached changemakers at the Clinton Global Initiative and the Commonwealth Games Federation. Dia is direct, magnetic, fierce, and insatiably curious. She will always bypass small talk in favor of deep connection.
Dia’s clients are leaders, executives, and influential figures facing a pivotal communications opportunity. In the past they’ve been asked to talk about what they do; now they're being asked about their vision for the future. Her bespoke coaching prepares them to step on stage in a way they’ve never done before.
In addition to mentoring international leaders, Dia has also taken up the mic as an auctioneer, helping women-led nonprofits raise the money they need to tackle important issues. Her #asklikeanauctioneer program is focused on helping women ask for more in their financial compensation conversations for their services, salaries, and businesses.
Dia may look like a communications coach, but in reality, she’s a catalyst for excellence. She makes high-ranking executives and government officials challenge and share themselves authentically with influential audiences. She shoves people out of their comfort zones, shows them their untapped power, and activates it. She is unapologetically intense and unflinchingly compassionate.
Since her clients are highly visible and unquestionably powerful, Dia is discreet and respectful. Her work succeeds when she’s inspired extraordinary people to live up to their potential. She shines brightest when no one knows she’s been there.
Now Dia is stepping forward to show you how to trust yourself and be compelling when it’s your turn to talk and it matters most (hint: that’s every time). Because if you wait until you realize you need her, it’s already too late.
Subscribe & Review on iTunes
Are you subscribed to the show?
If you’re not, be sure and do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode or bonus, and if you aren't subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
It would also really help me out if you would take a minute to leave a rating and review over on iTunes, so I can broaden my reach and my ability to help others. It's really easy too! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite topic we cover is, and what your favorite part of the show is. I'd love your feedback on topics you're interested in for future episodes, and love hearing your overall thoughts on the show. Thank you!
LINKS & MORE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE: