#28: Transforming Your Business Through Conscious Leadership with Diana Chapman
Music by: SAICS | Music produced by: Keith Milutinovic
Today's show features the incredible creator of the Conscious Leadership Group, author of the book, The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership, Diana Chapman. Diana walks us through some role-playing that will help us understand how to transform our businesses through the practice of conscious leadership.
Many of us have been in organizations that have felt toxic. We impact each other and while there are many tools that we can use to really bring ourselves into the mindset that we want to have, the effect of culture is quite real. With Diana’s help we begin to find that transformational power to create lasting and sustainable change that each of us actually has buried within ourselves, just waiting to be accessed.
Conscious Leadership Group’s Willingness Questions [Free Download]: Are you willing to shift above the line? Most often we want to shift; our heads say yes. But before you do, ask yourself these specific questions if you're fully willing to shift around this issue. There's one for each of the 15 commitments.
Are you a single leader working in a larger team or organization or in a community. Are you doing your best to lead consciously, to have a growth mindset and yet all around you there are people who are undermining your ability to make progress? What do we do when it's just us and we're trying to swim against the tide and change our whole entire culture?
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS EPISODE
- 1:31 - How do we swim against the tide as leaders and change the whole culture of our company? Diana Chapman says look at yourself first and locate yourself.
- 2:30 - Diana and Caneel role-play a typical conversation between coach and leader about changing culture.
- 5:15 - After a leader has learned to locate their own self where do they go from here? Diana discusses changing organizational culture from above the line by using the write the recipe technique.
- 8:39 - What are the steps to changing culture? Diana discusses clear agreements and clear commitments.
- 10:57 - Diana discusses the culture of Alene Candles and the success that CEO Rod Harl has had in building culture while working with Diana as a leadership coach.
- 13:26 - Start with conscious leadership in your home and commit to being that way all the time. This makes it easier to transition that conscious leadership into your company. Start as soon as you can building the culture you want in your company because it takes practice and commitment.
- 17:12 - Diana talks about why investing in conscious leadership as a leader is worth the work because of the massive changes you are able to make in your company and lessen the suffering of yourself and your team.
- 18:17 - 60 percent of startups with co-founders fail because of the co-founder relationship. There is a really big cost in the amount of time we can spend being in drama. Think about it as a drama tax and think about what it would be like if you didn't have to pay that tax and could move out of drama.
More About Diana Chapman:
Diana Chapman is an advisor to exceptional leaders who has worked with over 1000 organizational leaders and many of their teams, and is a founding partner at Conscious Leadership Group. She has created and implemented professional onboarding and ongoing programs—based on the comprehensive body of work she developed with CLG co-founder Jim Dethmer—with clients such as Asana and Esalen.
In addition to facilitating CLG Forums in the Bay Area for founders, venture capitalists, and CEOs, Diana facilitates YPO Forums and Chapters worldwide. She also trains coaches in conscious leadership in the CLG training program she and Jim created.
Diana co-authored the best-selling book, The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership: A New Paradigm for Sustainable Success, in 2015. She has been a speaker at TEDx, Mindful Leadership Summit, Wisdom 2.0, Stanford Graduate School of Business, Haas School of Business, YPO, and Kauffman Fellows.
Subscribe & Review on iTunes
Are you subscribed to the show?
If you’re not, be sure and do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode or bonus, and if you aren't subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
It would also really help me out if you would take a minute to leave a rating and review over on iTunes, so I can broaden my reach and my ability to help others. It's really easy too! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite topic we cover is, and what your favorite part of the show is. I'd love your feedback on topics you're interested in for future episodes, and love hearing your overall thoughts on the show. Thank you!
LINKS & MORE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE: