#31: How to Optimize Your Team Remotely - Best-Self Management and Co-Founder Relationships with 15Five CEO, David Hassell, and Chief Culture Officer, Shane Metcalf
We are currently enrolling our Forward Fearless online group coaching program. This is a live experience where we go deep into a lot of the concepts that you've learned about here on Allowed, and practice walking the walk. We like to keep these groups intimate. If you are interested in doing this deep dive into your authentic self and leading with purpose as the true leader that you and I know you are meant to be, then please give yourself the gift of this amazing support system of like-minded leaders and enroll in Forward Fearless today.
This coaching program is going to fill up, and this window of enrollment is actually the last enrollment that we're going to be having this year, so I really hope, if this is something you've been thinking about and you haven't jumped on it yet, that you don't miss this opportunity. I'm here for you, and I love getting the chance to interact and grow with each one of you.
In a time when employee engagement is down, many leaders are re-envisioning the roles inclusivity, purpose, and personal growth play in the workplace. What does best-self management really mean and how might it benefit your organization? What does the future of organizational development and company culture look like in a remote environment?
Today, with the help of David Hassell and Shane Metcalf, co-founders of the industry-leading performance management software company, 15Five, we tackle the tough questions surrounding employee growth, fulfillment, and morale, as well as the responsibility all leaders have right now to address how their own growth journey and mindsets affect their teams.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS EPISODE
- 1:13 - Join the Forward Fearless Online Group Coaching Program.
- 2:17 - Meet David Hassell and Shane Metcalf of 15Five.
- 2:49 - What is 15Five?
- 4:36 - David and Shane co-host the Best-Self Management podcast! Check it out at 15Five.com/podcast
- 5:13 - Website URLs and the art of writing a great bio.
- 7:34 - How discovering your Zone of Genius helps you to find your purpose.
- 9:50 - Leaders and managers might be scared of helping employees find their Zone of Genius or Best-Self because they are worried they will lose employees. Best-self management is an inside job and we need to locate ourselves and know our own Zone of Genius. We have to put in the effort to climb that mountain ourselves.
- 11:45 - Shane Metcalf's own personal growth journey that led him into best-self management.
- 18:20 - David Hassell's personal growth journey through finding his Zone of Genius, creating his best-self management methodology, and meeting his co-founder Shane Metcalf.
- 28:24 - How Shane and David met and created 15Five.
- 33:23 - What is Best-Self Management? It is about leaving a company as a better person and better performer than when you joined them.
- 37:51 - How engagement plays a huge role in company culture, employee health, and overall success. Engagement and performance are the biggest issues that a company needs to solve.
- 41:44 - As a manager who is trying to help their employees and team understand and be their best-selves, how do they transform their culture, how does 15Five help managers develop their teams as well as their own best-selves?
- 44:59 - 15Five has started a free academy that will help educate founders and their teams with their Best-Self Academy.
- 47:36 - How is this remote environment teaching us? How can 15Five help managers right now in this remote work world?
- 52:13 - Shane and David name a few books, resources, and talks that have most impacted them as leaders.
More About 15Five:
15Five is an industry-leading performance management software that brings goals, skills, coaching, and self-assessment to teams in an easy-to-use, scalable platform with features including weekly check-ins, OKR tracking, and peer appreciation. 15Five has won numerous awards for their company culture, including the prestigious Inc. Best Workplaces award and is ranked #3 in the U.S. on GlassDoor. 15Five has worked with thousands of corporations from around the globe like HubSpot, Spotify, and Citrix to systematically scale authenticity and create extraordinary cultures.
If you heard about 15Five on the Allowed podcast, they are offering a month free to our listeners! Reach out to Caneel to receive this special offer!
More About Shane Metcalf:
Shane Metcalf is a keynote speaker who advises on how to build a world-class workplace and is one of the world’s leading pioneers in the space of cultural engineering and positive psychology. His insights have been featured in Inc., Fast Company, Business Insider, Washington Post, Tech Crunch, and Bloomberg. As the Co-founder of 15Five, an 8 figure technology company, Shane and his team support HR Executives with data-driven people management.
As a keynote speaker, Shane can help any HR Executive with employee disengagement to maximize organizational health and create more cohesive leadership teams. Follow Shane on Twitter and LinkedIn, and listen to him co-host the Best-Self Management Podcast.
More About David Hassell:
David Hassell is a serial entrepreneur, business columnist, and speaker, who believes that when leaders support their employees in becoming their best selves, high engagement, performance, and uncommon loyalty naturally result. As co-founder and CEO of 15Five, David and his team have developed industry-leading performance management software that helps leaders and managers drive high performance and build phenomenal cultures via a suite of features including weekly check-ins, OKR tracking, 1-on-1s, and peer appreciation.
While at 15Five, David created the science-inspired Best-Self Management methodology that helps leaders and managers address the hidden factors that stimulate sustainable growth and development – things like intrinsic motivation, growth mindset, strengths, positivity, and psychological safety in the workplace. David formerly served as President of the San Francisco chapter of the Entrepreneurs’ Organization and was later named “The Most Connected Man You Don’t Know in Silicon Valley” by Forbes Magazine. He has also been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Inc., Entrepreneur, Fast Company, and Wired. Follow him on Twitter.
Subscribe & Review on iTunes
Are you subscribed to the show?
If you’re not, be sure and do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode or bonus, and if you aren't subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
It would also really help me out if you would take a minute to leave a rating and review over on iTunes, so I can broaden my reach and my ability to help others. It's really easy too! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite topic we cover is, and what your favorite part of the show is. I'd love your feedback on topics you're interested in for future episodes, and love hearing your overall thoughts on the show. Thank you!
LINKS & MORE MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE: